|Jordanian bedu outfit|
Jordanian Museum Popular Traditions
(from the Archive's website)
Archive volunteer staff are scattered worldwide, some with no access to museums with Palestinian costumes and cultural material. So we are going to post about museums with Palestinian collections so you can all see where material is held, and get an idea of how much is left and what condition its in.
The Jordan Folklore Museum and Jordanian Museum of Popular Traditions in Amman are amongst our favorite museums. They are located on each side of the Roman theatre in downtown Amman. Lots of us have visited over the years, and their collections inspired us to try to find out more.
They have good collections, but like many small museums they have limited funds for conservation. Their display is small, but evocative, and we have the greatest respect for the museum staff who look after everything.
We've provided links below to any installation photos we've found on the web, and we'll keep updating this. If any Archive friends or volunteers in Jordan get a chance to take photos for the Archive's documentation, please do!
- Noelle from the Little Yellow Duck blog uploaded several wonderfully details posts with photos of Palestinian, Syrian and Jordanian bedu and fellahin costumes in the these museums. As we can't access our own photos of this collection at the moment (they were pre digital) we thought you might like to see hers. We'll also drop Noelle a line to help her identify some of the costumes and ask if we can reproduce copies of her photos in this post at some point.Links all published on 12 and 13 April 2006:
- Hebron robe and shambar
- Hebron jillayeh (very rare garment)
- Beer Sheba
- No idea (double dresses)
- No idea 2 bedu?
- Beer Sheba 2
- Ramallah 2
- TripAdvisor - entry on the museums
This photo of Jordan Museum of Popular Tradition is
courtesy of TripAdvisor
This photo of Jordan Museum of Popular Tradition
is courtesy of TripAdvisor
- The Expat Family in Amman blog - "A Couple of museums in Amman" post April 2010
- Virtual Tourist post
- Panoramio - photo by Carlos Sierio del Ni... + another of a Bethlehem outfit 2009
- Panoramio - photo by Asma Malkawi - Jordanian dress - Ramtha
- Petra Night Tours page
- Wiki - Palestinian costume page - Nablus outfit from Museum of Pop Traditions
- now public - photo by shahdaj
- Smart Bedouin Traveler - museums in Jordan
- Superstock - bedouin jewels
- Easy Voyage - Jordan
- Amman Seek
- Flickr - Bethlehem shatweh, Bedu khol pots, Blue beads,
- Bassjo - Amman - three photos
- Jordan Folklore Museum "the museum presents the traditional Jordanian life, including costumes, home furnishings, musical instruments and handicrafts dating back to the 19th century. Other notable exhibits include a Bedouin goat-hair tent with rug weavings and household equipment, and replicas of traditional domestic interiors" Opening hours: 8.00-16.00 in winter, 8.30-18.30 in summer Opening Days: daily
- Jordan Museum of Popular Tradition "Located in the eastern section of the Roman Theater, this museum displays the traditional costumes of Jordanians, including embroidery and antique jewelry, as well as domestic utensils. It also houses a collection of mosaics from some Byzantine churches in Jordan" Opening hours: 8.00-16.00 in winter, 8.00-18.30 in summer Opening Days: daily except Tuesday